Sunday, December 28, 2008

I now know where the phrase "bleeding hearts" comes from.

This little wall hanging is a Mary Ellen Hopkins pattern that I made about 12 years ago. It was found while cleaning up the studio yesterday and I thought, hey why don't I stipple quilt it and call it done. Hah, that's what I get for thinking.

For some reason, 2 of the fabrics used herein are bleeders that I did not initially pre-test. Remember, if a fabric is going to bleed, spray starch will find it. So now I have to take it apart and replace 4 of the hearts. Sigh . . . so much for a speedy finish.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

10 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh no! Don't start ripping out. I just had this problem with a small project that I made and figured I would just throw it out and start new, but tried Spray and Wash on the are that bled and then washed it with a dye catcher in the washer. I watched the rinse water and when it was no longer red, I put in Retayne and then dried it in the dryer. This was a service banner that will be hung in the window and I didn't want condensation to make it bleed again, that is why I used the Retayne. Hope you don't have to make more work for yourself.

Idaho Quilter said...

Are you feeling better? I was doing well until Christmas Eve, Now I have a very sore throat stuffed up head and feel terrible.. What remedy do you use.
I made the same quilt from MEH book about the same time as you, when I found out I was going to be Grandma.

Brenda said...

Sorry to hear about the bleeding, glad that you can repair it because it is a very nice quilt.

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling? I'm guessing better since your back to stitching UFO's. :-)

Melanie said...

Looks like your gearing up for the next holiday----I'd tea-dye it and build on the shading... I really like this one...

Kristie said...

Such a cute little quilt! My Grandmother told me a little secret once and I use it everytime that I was a new quilt! Add 1 cup of table salt in the wash with it and the colors will NOT bleed! I have always done this and I have never had one to bleed!
Kristie

Anonymous said...

If it were mine I would be too lazy to fix it, I'm afraid. It's a pretty quilt. Good luck with whatever you do.

YankeeQuilter said...

Just when you think you are getting a jump on the next holiday...good luck with whichever method you choose!

Susan Tidwell said...

Oh, at first I thought you had pricked your finger whilst quilting...

Hope you don't have to rip it apart, do you hate the seam ripper as much as I do?

Anonymous said...

No need to rip apart...wash with a shout color catcher...all the red released will be absorbed by the catcher...find in the laundry aisle...I did a bed sized quilt with reds that were "bleeding" in my hand while sewing...after quilting I washed it and it came up crisp and beautiful!