Saturday, November 10, 2007

Update

A few days back, I was on the phone when I heard dog yelps and hurried outside to check on my baby Bonnie.
The Section 12 neighbor (psych term- in other words should be committed) has a big chow. Up until this point her dog has not been a problem. However, one of her small dogs is in heat. Evidently this caused her chow to attack my Bonnie girl.
She has a puncture wound in the middle of her shoulder and we have daily sessions with hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment. The fear in her eyes and her shaking when I get out the medicine break my heart every time. The wound is healing slowly, but well. I'm afraid, it is going to take me far longer to get over it.
Why anyone would have a dog that is not fixed is beyond me. Especially living in an area where so many pets are abandoned, discarded, and literally thrown in to trash dumpsters. Did you know that a male dog can smell a female dog in heat from 3 miles away. There are even free area clinics to get your pet spayed or neutered. Some humane societies offer discount vouchers with a local vet to get the procedure done. If your pet or your best friend's pet has not been fixed, please, seriously, consider having it done. For Bonnie's sake.

6 comments:

Fabric Fanatic said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dear girl. I live in the country with my girl, Maya, for company and know that if something like this were to happen to her I'd be devastated.
I'm wishing her a speedy recovery, and hope that you are able heal as well.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder about having pets fixed. Hope your Bonnie heals quickly and your nerves are calmed.

Jeanne said...

Oh, poor Bonnie! Does the neighbor face any consequence for letting his dog run loose? He should have to pay for the medical cost that you incur from the attack, at least. I hope Bonnie is healed quickly and that you both can put this behind you.

silvia said...

Hi Bonnie,
love you appreciate my Xmas tree.I promise,as soon as possible I'll add the tutorial to do it!It's very sipmle.Just a japanese folding on triangles.Let me know how to make a tutorial or tell me if I could send you the tecnique on your private mail!

Knot Garden said...

Aren't irresponsible neighbours such a nuisance. It was an awful thing to happen but I suppose it could have been worse. I hope Bonnie is continuing to improve and hope you are beginning to get over the shock.

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that Bonnie was attacked. How can people not keep control of their animals. Hope she is doing better by now.