Generally when I begin such a project new fabrics are cut, which is why the inventory rarely goes down. This is how I cycle new and old fabric. There are some pieces that go back 30 years. Yes, really.
This is a flannel Toile print that I had on hand. When combined with 100% cotton Blue Ribbon batting, the flannel will help shrink the entire quilt at least 3" on each side for a very textured effect.
Big Blue took longer than expected to assemble. There are 1080 blue squares, 1015 white squares, and 128 triangles. The trickiest part was balancing color in the middle of the quilt as those were the longest sections. No border will be added, but it will get a blue binding to define the edges once it's quilted. I'm still waiting for Santa to bring me my box of time.If you want to try this pattern idea, remember you can use any and all colors, it does not have to be just 1 color group. I've seen this quilt done up in 1930's prints and it was lovely. The trick is to start your fabric library, continue to add to your collection, and let yourself play. It's that simple.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .
17 comments:
You and I have a lot of blue... we've mentioned it before. :D I've often thought about doing a 'blue' quilt... maybe a Thousand Pyramids or Tumblers; along that line. But I've often wondered how all the different blues in my box would play well together. You did a beautiful job of color balancing yours!
The quilt looks *awesome*! I am continually amazed at how wonderful quilts can look when made with just squares. Fabulous!
Gypsy is fun and amazing when she making things, finds things and creates.
I love that box, too. All those squares. Funnn!
WOW!!!!!
Holy Cow!!!
How does it end up having so many more blues than whites?
It is a real stunner - congratulations!
The quilt is very pretty. Looks like it was very time consuming. The tole will be great for the back.
Wow! Look at all those squares! Yeah for you!
The quilt is gorgeous...it's amazing what can be done with simple blocks. We tend to forget how striking quilts made this way can be!
It's beautiful!
Looking at the picture, it kinda makes me cross-eyed, I wonder if it had that effect on you? Great job, a lot of work in this one.
Too bad about the house, it must not have been your perfect match, so that means it is still out there waiting for you to find it!
Have a great weekend.
Wow, this quilt will be stunning! Blue binding will be exactly right for it. Amazing job!
This is just lovely. And from humble squares. Good job, girl! stuck to it -
Such a simple patter - such a stunning quilt. The blue binding will be perfect.
Blue looks wonderful. Your house is just waiting around the corner for you.
TA DA is right! It's gorgeous! I love scrappy quilts and this is a keeper, for sure. I even love the box with the squares all cut. Wish mine looked like that. Thanks for sharing.
what an awesome quilt!!! Do I have to start pulling all my blue squares out of the box. I'm also amazed at how neat your box was-
and those peanut butter bars are on the list of things to do tonight after dinner. A nice surprise for the kiddies :)
Question, was the pink one done as a square in the square? Or just white squares also??
Love this one! I love to work with squares on point, but I have never considered the checkerboard effect.
Wow! That quilt is great. It looks like it took a lot of work. I love blue & white. I am a quilter too and just came across your blog. I'll be back again to see what you're up to. Rhondi
Post a Comment