Friday, November 2, 2007

Stringing along to a wonderful melody

String quilting on a small scale is great fun! The rectangles created to make the "railroad" sections measure 3-1/2 x 7" (that includes seam allowances). You begin by making them at least 4" x 7-1/2", then starch and trim down to 3-1/2 x 7".
Most of the yellow squares were made from leftovers a friend had given me. They measure 3-1/2" square - cut. And the white setting squares are cut at 7". This really is a great project to use up leftovers and remember that odd blocks and even flying geese units can be sewn in to your stringy rectangles.

Once again, I used Golden Threads paper (http://www.goldenthreads.com/); however, phone book pages will work just as well.
The pattern layout idea for this quilt came from Marti Mitchell's book, Quilting For People Who Still Don't Have Time To Quilt. In it Marti explains how to use the strip piecing technique to create the "railroad ties." However, I find that string piecing lends itself beautifully to such a project.
I hope these last few posts have given you an incentive to get started on that Christmas list. I too have a list and will be taking a break from blog land for a while. Don't worry, I'll be back with more fun and adventure.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . .

13 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Wow - I missed out on this one. Glad you left ME a message. This is just wonderful, and again, a great use of scraps. I've made several of this type also - never use up the scraps though.

Saska said...

This is a really neat scrap/string quilt. Love the yellow cornerstone blocks.

SuBee said...

How cool is that???
The littlest chips we throw away make the prettiest quilts! Thank fo sharing this one - it's great!

Chookyblue...... said...

love the quilt.......actually love all your quilts.......

Finn said...

What a great bright happy quilt! I sewed up a Railroad Crossing the summer of '06(I think) using yellow for the setting blocks. Still haven't gotten it quilted. I'm not very fond of square quilts.
I've never used paper to piece the 'rails' tho,do you think there is enough stretch to warrent that?

Love, love, love your Snowmen of yesterday...I'd forgotten about that pattern in the CT book..I started one many years ago and abandoned it because of the machine applique requirement..maybe I'll take another look at those 'parts' *VBS*
Hope all is going well for you. Hugs, Finn

Floss said...

What a fun idea, so simple, yet stunning.

*karendianne. said...

Wow! This turned out so neat.

Darlene said...

This is adorable!

Fabric Fanatic said...

simple design, stunning results!

jeanette said...

Thank´s for your kind comment on my blog. This is my first visit on yours and I can see you make very beautyful quilts!

Jeanne said...

Wonderful quilt! I think scraps make the best quilts.

silvia said...

That's great! I'm always interested in how to reutilize scraps.I added your blog to my favourites.

The Calico Cat said...

AHHHH & the UFO I have started for my dad. (Good thing he doesn't know, this one has been resting for a few years!)