I can hear the groans, "Oh no, not another 4-patch quilt!" Sorry, I just can't help myself. If you've got 2" squares, why not make 4-patches. If you keep a box, bag, or tin full of them, you always have the makings for a simple project.This pattern comes from The Quilt Patch www.thequiltpatch.ca/. However, I changed mine around to utilize 3-1/4" 4-patches. I also keep a ziplock bag full of leftover triangles on hand and was able to use some of them up on the corners. (Remember the bias has to be on the inside, so you need to cut a square in fourths diagonally.)
As you can see, I chose a tone-on-tone navy for the inner/outer border sections. It needed something dark enough to frame it. The next one I make will be more coordinated with 4 patches out of very light backgrounds and medium/dark greens. Then I'll frame it with a medium/dark green.
Of course you could use red and green for a really quick Christmas quilt. Whatever colors you choose, have fun playing.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . . .
8 comments:
I really love this one too. I guess I'm going to have to increase my stash so I have enough to do a scrappy quilt. Yours are gorgeous!
It looks beautiful - I like the way you used lots of different neutrals for the triangles.
Just beautiful. What a lovely quilt.
What a cute, cute quilt! I love that you are able to use your stash. One of these days, that's what I'm going to do...stash quilts. :)
I came back and looked and I still really like it. I like the way the neutral triangles play off the darker busier squares and the dark blue brings it all together for me. I would love to curl up under it on a cool night.
This is fun and I love four patches. I love to make them mostly. I have nothing to show for my efforts yet. They're just piling up someplace around here.
Oh the bias...I have a hard time paying attention to the dern bias!!! Grainline fairy is not a nickname anyone uses for me.
Hi San, I love this effort of scraps, it makes a sensational quilt. As much as some people 'poo-hoo' 4 patches and 9 patches, I think they are the homemade soup of quilting. Easy, comfortable and almost anything goes!!
Gwen Marston was selling a T shirt at her web site a few years back. I ordered one for Betsy...it said "When in doubt, make a 4 patch". Love it!"
The fence rail variation is just awesome also. Hard to find a scrap quilt I don't like...you've got a great touch with scraps. Not sure about that starching tho...LOL Big hugs, Finn
Gypsy, dear, I still parent any child within my home or yard. I have also heard my sons (7.5 and 9 yrs) tell other kids that they are not acting right - in the middle of Kroger's - our big grocery chain.
Kind of makes me proud. BTW, I also tell men who open a door or hold one open that their mother would be proud of them - and they smile at that.
Happy quilting,
Denise
Post a Comment